Jakel Group Partners with PiDC for RM1.2 Billion Cyberjaya Data Centre Project

  • 2 weeks ago
  • News
  • 0

“The project will be developed in three phases, beginning in the third quarter of this year and concluding the first phase by the fourth quarter of 2025.”

KUALA LUMPUR, 4th June 2024 – Jakel Group is collaborating with PiDC Holding Bhd to develop a 51MW data centre in Cyberjaya, valued at RM1.2 billion.

In a statement released on Saturday, Jakel announced its acquisition of a 40% stake in the venture, Pi Data Centre Sdn Bhd, with PiDC holding the remaining 60%.

The planned facility will be a cutting-edge Tier III Data Centre, occupying a 7.3-acre site in Cyberjaya.

The project will be constructed in three phases, with the first phase beginning in the third quarter of this year and finishing in the fourth quarter of 2025.

“Most of the capacity for phase 1 is already booked, showing a high demand for data centres,” Jakel stated.

Jakel managing director Datuk Seri Mohamed Faroz Mohamed stated that the investment in the data centre represents a major milestone in the group’s effort to diversify its portfolio, expanding from its current businesses in textiles, property, plantations, healthcare, and military equipment into digital infrastructure.

“This investment highlights our commitment to pursuing new opportunities and expanding our expertise in evolving markets. Moreover, the project supports national initiatives like MyDIGITAL.

“It will aid in developing strong digital infrastructure and fostering the growth of the digital workforce, thereby boosting Malaysia’s capabilities in digital innovation,” he stated in the release.

Meanwhile, Muhammad Ashraf, director of Jakel Capital Sdn Bhd, stated that digital infrastructure is integral to the group’s diversification efforts.

“The Jakel family has allocated RM1 billion for investment in 2024, with a higher capital commitment anticipated in 2025.

“Beyond this initiative, Jakel Group’s strategic investments include a substantial stake in Cypark Resources Bhd (KL), a renewable energy company listed on Bursa Malaysia, where Jakel became the largest shareholder in January 2023,” he added.

PiDC Holdings Sdn Bhd, a local data centre operator, was co-founded by Ong Chin Seong, who has over 20 years of international experience in designing, constructing, and operating data centres.

Ong, who currently chairs the National Tech Association of Malaysia (Pikom), has successfully designed and developed numerous data centres both within Malaysia and globally.

Join The Discussion

Compare listings

Compare